If you love chocolate and caramel, you will love these Chocolate Cinnamon Rolls with Caramel Icing. My favorite thing about these cinnamon rolls (besides the taste) is that they make their own icing while they cook. It can’t get any easier than that.
I use the same dough recipe as my cinnamon rolls with icing. You can find those here.
Ingredients for the dough
- 1 Cup Milk
- 1/2 Cup Butter
- 1 Cup Water
- 1 TBS Active Dry Yeast
- 1 Cup White Sugar
- 1 tsp Salt
- 2 Eggs
- 6 Cups of Flour (more if needed)
Ingredients for the filling
- 2 TBS of Cinnamon (more if you like)
- 2 Cups Brown Sugar
- 1/2 Cup Butter
- 1/2 Cup Chocolate Chips
Ingredients for the caramel
- 1 stick of butter (split between two pans)
- 1/2 Cup Brown Sugar per pan
- Warm the milk in a small pan until it bubbles. Remove the pan from the heat and mix in the butter until it melts. When the butter is melted add the water and let it cool till it is warm.
- In a large mixing bowl combine the warm milk, yeast, white sugar, and salt. Combine those and let it sit to activate the yeast.
- Once the yeast has bubbled add the eggs and 2 cups of flour. Mix well. Using your mixer add in the remaining flour a 1/2 cup at a time. Mixing well as you add in the flour. If the dough is still sticky add more flour. You want it to pull away from the side of the bowl.
- When your dough pulls together put it on a floured surface and knead your dough for 8 minutes.
- Divide the dough in half. Set one half to the side and roll the other half into a rectangle. Roll to whatever thickness you desire.
- Take your melted butter and spread it onto your dough. Then sprinkle the cinnamon, brown sugar, and chocolate chips (you can really eyeball this) onto your dough.
- Roll your dough up (roll tight) and seal the ends.
- Cut your rolls. You can use a bread knife to cut your rolls with a piece of thread.
- Pre-Heat your oven to 375 degrees
- Melt your butter and add it to your pans, and then add the brown sugar. This makes your caramel icing.
- Place your cinnamon rolls in the pans with the melted butter and brown sugar.
- Set your pan aside in a warm area, cover, and allow the rolls to rise. I set mine on the back of the stove and use the heat from the stove to help the rolls rise.
- When the cinnamon rolls are ready place them in the preheated oven for 20-25 minutes. They are finished when they are golden brown on the top.
- When they are done cooking you will need to get the rolls out of the pan. You need to place a plate over the top of the pan and carefully flip the pan over. BE CAREFUL, they are hot and if you don’t have them completely covered caramel will drip out. You want to do this while they are hot.
These Chocolate Cinnamon Rolls with Caramel Icing are best served hot.
I love hearing from you, if you have any questions or comments please leave them below.
If you would like to learn more about Our Little Bit of Earth, join me over on my Facebook page @ourlittlebitofearth and on Instagram @r_little_bit_of_earth.
Also, be sure to check out my YouTube videos and don’t forget to hit the like button and subscribe ? Our Little Bit of Earth is our Channel
Copyright 2020, Our Little Bit Of Earth
All images and content are copyright protected. While I love it when you share my content, please do not use my content or images on your own site/page without prior authorization. If you would like to use my images please email me. Sharing and pinning is always appreciated as long as the pins link back to this website and the recipe.
DISCLOSURE OF MATERIAL CONNECTION: You should assume the owner of this website and/or blog has an affiliate relationship and/or another material connection, to any suppliers of goods and services that may be discussed here, and maybe compensated for showing ads or recommending products or services, or linking to the supplier’s website.